Friday 14 December 2018

After a few months off

After a few months off of not turning a crank on any of my bikes, today I finally  got out. Have to say in my old age becoming a "fair weather rider" is becoming more an more tempting, man it was cold this morning. Of course I prepared for the elements, however I think I over did it as once I got going with my pal John, it was a case of "Omg I'm Melting".

Lifting my bike over the gate at The Farmers trail

John on His Cube
My dear old dad, or "The Ern" as I lovingly call him had treat me to a new pair of Seal Skin gloves and also a pair of Grab Grip thermal/waterproof leg warmers. Talking about the leg warmers it always annoys me that I have to buy the pair when I only actually use one. My poor old stump, contained in it's silcone liner and surrounded by my socket just has to freeze. Upon each of my adventurers in the chilly weather it is blue upon my return and appears to take ages to heat up.
 

I had discusssed with John earlier in the week about heading out, saying I didn't have plans for an epic ride as I am just so unconditioned. Once more I find myself in the position of just getting out and starting from scratch then gradually building up my fitness, main thing is I am back in the saddle and enjoying some fresh air.
 


"Oh Farmer Trail I have missed you so". Yeah that is the way we headed. It was a combination of real thick mud and ground frost. The large puddles we encountered were glazed over with a sheet of ice. I love the sound of my tires crunching the ice, it is very satisfying to me. Pedaling up the Farmers Trail it felt like my lungs were on fire and ffs why did I put all these layers on along with my Primaloft Jacket oh and Race Face Nano to top it off.

Our plans were to head into Beamish woods and just have a little play around. Jeez once in the woods I swear some of the mudded areas were waist deep. I had taken my Silverback Synergy Fat and John was on his new Cube Nutrail Fat. 


BTK Crossover

Checking out the GoPro on my Mobile phone
Setting up the camera


I have to say I am not to enamoured with the Maxxis Mammoths I have fitted, where as John's Schwalbe Jumbo Jims appeared to be cpoping much better in the thick gloop. John made a lovely comment at one point as we were both struggling to cope with the trail and thick mud, saying "your balance is a lot better than mine". I explained I had to practice a lot, as if I goto fall off on my right side, well that is it I just go. No stopping me as I am clipped in and cannot get my BTK Crossover down quick enough.
 
Messing around with photo's

Every now and then when we came to a nice spot John and I grabbed a photo oportunity. Have to say not to impressed with the quality of the shots today, whilst using both my little Lumix and GoPro Hero 5. Not sure if it was because it was very cold and foggy in places or if I had the settings on manual and messed up. It was also pretty dark in areas and as the GoPro has no flash, well it tends to over compensate in other areas. I am really fancying a new GoPro Hero 7 as heard good reports, it's just they bring a new one out every year and well they are canny expensive. I'll have a fiddle with my 5 as it is still going strong, just ordered some new batteries as my old ones are not holding there charge. £20 for three plus a charger from Amazon, so not too bad.

John looks even more Gimpy than me in this shot, what the hells going on with your ankle dude?

Caked and no grip

Far better dealing with the mud the Schwalbe Jumbo Jims

John
 All in all a very enjoyable ride out, well when I say ride I also did a fair bit of pushing as I was knackered on the hills and if you know the Stanley area, you will know we have plenty of them.

Messing around

John and I
I rode the same way home, this time coming down the Farmers Trail, just as I got to the gate at the end of the trail and dismounted my bike, my good foot slipped down the side of the path way, as it was so muddy. There was this huge puddle, more like the size of a small pond actually. I couldn't un clip my BTK  and I toppled over going sploosh straight in this freezing cold puddle with bits of ice floating in it. I rode home as quick as I could through the estate and when I got home Ern helped me with my soaking wet things and in evacuating all the water which had filled up my prosthetic foot. Everything is now in the wash and I have had a lovely bath, putting in some Epsom Salts as I was Baltic.

The joys of cycling... Much better than sitting in the house, although I am proper tired I feel better about myself. That little bit exercise really does get the old endorphins going and helps you feel positive. I love the outdoors and taking in all the wonderful sights and colours particularly at this time of year. The fallen leaves strewn along some of the trails in the forest were beautiful. And the Coot Pond looked amazing as ice had formed and was glistening in the sunshine. Even met some friendly walkers and had a bit of a chit chat.

Johns bike over at the Coot pond
The pond looked amazing with the bits of ice and sunshine
OK
Ok off to get food...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your Comment