Wednesday 6 February 2019

Say a Little Prayer

A short Blog, with a few pictures. Just a there and back, completing roughly 30 miles.
 

Basically got ready and out the door and headed up past Consett on the C2C and going to Waskerley Way.

Saying a little prayer


Up in what remains of Waskerley Village there is a beautiful old Chapel. I first came across this wonderful place some years ago and whenever I venture up this way I make a point of popping in. The Chapel is called St Matthews. I particulary enjoy not only the sight of the Chapel, but as you open the door and go in the smell. It has various odours which tease your senses, ranging from a sort of damp and dusty,to that of the wooden pews. It is a very peacful place in it's secluded little spot.  When I was there I kind of got to think just how lucky I was, you know even to be there. We all take so much for granted. It's not until you take ill yourself or have a loved one who is really sick, or even like how when I constantly work with seriously ill people, that sometimes you stop and reflect. All though I am not religious I do believe I am spiritual and hey taking a moment wasn't going to hurt anyone. I took this photo as I love memories and this will refresh my mine each time I look at it.

Notice on door
Bike outside St Matthews


Upon entering the Chapel you are presented with a little book, this allows you to jot down your name and add a small comment. There is also a small collection box, just off to the side near the wall.

Just a little thank you
Not much, but all I had
A lovely lady named Mavis I believe, who lives nearby in the house just across the road used to maintain the Chapel, alongside her husband. Not sure if this is still the case. Anyhoo I only had a little bit of change so dropped £2 in the collection box. Well worth it just to have a wander around the old place and take everything in.

Some interesting photos and info
Someone has popped a little bit of history on some boards, recalling what exactly happened to Waskerley Village and the nearby railway station and line. There are some nice photo's and some interesting snippets of info.








Holy B
It was canny breezy both on the ride up and back as I got onto the moor. Pleased I always carry my Arctic ONE Buff, proper lug saver and stops me from getting ear ache.

Pleased I had my Arctic ONE Buff
Keeps my heed, lugs n gob warm :)

After completing 30.7 miles according to Strava on my Specilaized Turbo Levo, my bike read as having 3 bars left on the battery. I think if I am going to ride further than say 40 miles at a time I am going to have to opt for the larger 700w battery. I rode in Eco mode almost all of todays adventure, which still gives me a work out.

Reet done, the end...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your Comment