Friday 22 February 2019

When your socket fits, you can just crack on...

       After yesterdays swim, today seemed like a good excuse to take one of my bikes out and try out my brand new Pace Rehabilitaion socket alongside my BTK Crossover. You have probably heard me say this before. I am very fortunate to be supported by Pace. It's as simple as my Blog title "When your socket fits, you can just crack on". It makes a huge difference to every aspect of your day. There is nothing worse than being sore and uncomfortable all day, to the point you just cannot wait to get your limb off. Or worse still you are unable to wear a limb at all. It not only affects you physically but also mentally. So being provided with something that helps me get the job done, whether in work or play, makes me feel as I say very fortunate and appreciative.

Always hard to capture myself riding...dam it cut me heed off LoL


Anyhoo, wor Baxter awoke me from my slumber this morning, he was whining for attention as he had decided to get up and lie in his usual place, or at least try to as he can't quite get his fat arse on the bottom step of our stairs, so he sits half on half off. I had a quick look out my bedroom window and noted it didn't look a half bad morning. I was unsure whether it was going to rain, however decided to risk it and take my DeRosa Idol road bike for a spin. Man it has been absolutely yonks since I last rode the DeRosa. I mean I had used her down at Pace on a turbo trainer, but other than that I think my last venture out would have been about 3 years ago when I took part in an Arctic ONE triathlon down at Eton and Dorney. I originally got the DeRosa so it could serve the purpose of the odd Tri and also so I could ride her locally. Truth be known I hate riding on the road. Not sure why I just do not feel as confident on a road bike, especially with "roadie" shoes...I am like Bambi on ice LoL. May be it is because the bike is so light and I struggle to clip in and out. No I think the main reason is because there are so many nutter car drivers on the road. Every single time I go out on the road bike I have at least one close call and this is just whilst I am travelling in a straight line on some bit of road. A lot of drivers just do not or are unwilling to give you room and think nothing of passing you within inches of your bars.

Rode up and through Burnhope


Commemortative plaque at Burnhope on the Winding Wheel
Just a little photo opportunity
Sitting at Burnhope next to the Winding Wheel


My Trusty Arctic ONE Bottle
Todays "hairy" adventure took me just under 17 miles...16.8 to be exact. I took in a few minor hills, however enough to get my old lungs going as well as my 1 and a half power legs. I removed my tendons from my BTK Crossover this morning and just left around 50 psi in my shock. Figured I wouldn't be doing a lot of standing out the saddle and I wanted less resistance on the road bike.

Man sure my Pace Jersey has shrunk
Decided the C2C was a safer option, way too many muppets in cars.
Ern gave me a hand do some minor adjustments to my foot rotation this morning as my heel was catching my chain stay. Once this was sorted the socket and knee combo felt spot on. The knee was coming through beautifully straight and the socket felt real comfortable with no rubbing issues. The only thing that annoyed the hell out of me all the way around todays ride, other than the asshole motorists, was a squeak that took me ages to figure out where it was coming from. Turned out it was my cycling shoe on my prosthetic foot. "Squeak, squeak,squeak....oh and then Squeak
,squeak,squeak some more LoL.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your Comment