Friday 22 February 2019

Where can we take "Grandma"

When I returned home from my ride out this morning Ern was no where to be seen. Obviously he had taken wor Baxter out. Just as I was making my way into our bathroom to have a shower I noticed Ern coming down the back street, through the landing window. I proceeded to the shower and as I got in, heard Ern shout "so how far did you get". "About 17 miles I said, shouting from within the shower. "What" he said, again I repeated "about 17 miles", "what 37 miles", Ern said, too which I shouted "Howld on man am in the shower". Ern is hard of hearing at the best of time and shouting from the shower whilst trying to wash me bits just wasn't going to work.

VW Beetle GSR
Grandma @ Whitby
After coming out the shower smelling all coco nutty, from the body wash I had been using I popped on my gear and headed downstairs to carry on the conversation in less shouty tones. I told Ern where I had been and then asked "do you fancy a look out somewhere". I just thought as it was my day off I would rather head off and do something.   

   
Whitby Abbey

 For some reason Whitby popped into my head, so I came back up stairs to my bedroom and checked Whitby out on my computer. After reading a little bit about the Abbey and of course Bram Stoker and Dracula I went back down stairs to inform Ern, "Hey how do you fancy heading to Whitby with Grandma". Oh I better tell you who Grandma is, she is my VW Beetle. I have only done just over 1800 miles in her since getting her last April and well just fancied a ride out in her.


The Ern


Me
So off we set heading to Whitby. I popped the postcode into Grandma's Sat Nav and was soon heading in the wrong direction. See even with Sat Nav I get lost. A quick about turn at Chester and we were soon on the motorway and heading in the right direction.

Whitby Abbey
Thistles with Abbey in Background
Man it appeared to take us ages to get to Whitby and the journey was not quite how I expected it. I thought we would be travelling along by the coast most of the way, however we seemed to be more inland and heading through towns and villages, well at least until we came across the moors. Still it was an enjoyable ride out, with some good company. Ern was getting a bit cross with the Sat Nav, especially on the way home.

Man there sure are a lot of graves, wonder if they are all from Vampires
Once at Whitby we had a good look around the Abbey and visited the small cafe for a cuppa and we both had a gorgeous slice of this like fruit and nut slice thingy.

Oh and whilst I think on...I have just added this bit... Fairplay to the lady who allowed her small son to ask the question "Why does that man have a robot leg". The way in which she answered her son, was fantastic. She said "Well why don't you go and ask the man" and that is exactly what he did with a cheeky yet curious expression on his face. I was more than happy to tell him my leg had got sick and the doctors replaced my leg with this cool "robot" leg. He was perfectly happy with this answer and soon lost interest. His mam thanked me and as they went on their way I thought "hey I should really thank you" for not being ignorant and ushering youre child away. Education in all things is far better than ignorance.


Looking out the cafe window
Following this we headed back to Grandma, once underway I took another wrong turn so just explored this country lane, then eventually got on a road that took us back into Whitby town centre. Here we parked up and had a look around the town. I always like to remember and get a fridge magnet upon my journeys, so we headed into a local sort of gift shop and bought two fridge magnets, oh and Ern got his eye on a cute Bull Terrier cup so we got that too. A lovely walk along towards the pier, taking a few snaps on the way. By this time it was starting to get a tad chilly. I had just been in shorts and T-shirt all afternoon, it was really quite warm earlier in the day.

A replica tall ship



Whitby Life Boat


A Little Boat
A walk along the pier
Very pretty pier


Sun starting to set
A Boat Docking, lights looked pretty
As we came back towards Grandma, we decided to call into The Fish Box and head in for what turned out to be a delicious Cod and Chips each. Then it was back to Grandma and the ride home to see wor Baxter who had been such a good lad. I have been trying to teach him new tricks, so far he can turn around when prompted, but only anti-clockwise. His latest skill which he has almost got is when you say "speak" he barks, well sometimes he does, other times he just kind of gives you a derisive snort and I am sure he has rolled his eyes at me on more than one occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your Comment