Saturday 20 July 2019

Vinatge Suitcase Boombox


Firstly I have to say a HUGE thank you to my dear old dad, Ern for helping me out with this project. I got the idea after seeing someone online with a Boombox, and then did a spot of research and thought "Ohh that would be fun and interesting to try and make".

Ern at the start of adapting the suitcase


Garstin Vinatge 1930's/40's

Ern with the first bit of Hardboard cut for the base
  The project was a bit harder than I anticipated, more because I just couldn't initially find a suitcase I liked, and at a reasonable price. When I saw this 1930's/40's Garstin I was instantly drawn to it. I ended up paying £32.99 which was a bit over my budget, but hey so pleased with the end result and although I had to cut the case I am sure it will live on for quite sometime in it's new Frankenstein sort of adapted way.


Front inner support, made out of a piece of skirting board
I bought the Mini Lepy 168 Plus Mini amplifier along with some Auna CS Comp-8 Professional car Hi-Fi Speakers from Amazon. In hindsight I should have opted for a more rectangular amplifier, as cutting the shape of the Lepy into the case was a nightmare. It's not perfect, but hey it's also not a bad fit.

Ern having way too much fun at the thought of cutting my case, "Measure Ern Measure"
Marked out for the cutting. Amp is a horrible shape. Should have bought a rectangular one
Took front of amp off to draw around
My dad hates working on stuff when I am around as I am more of a measure  50 maybe 60 times then cut type of guy, and my Ocd constantly cuts in. Where as Ern is a quick measure, cut then if it's wrong we will sort it later. His favourite saying being "It'll be alreet man". I quite often have to either go away or else stand there cringing, when ever my dad does a job.


Hole cut, now just to get the right shape
Clamp to hold case and skirting back board
Front of amp removed, still away to go
Making the chassis for the amp to sit on, was pretty straight forward, this also added a bit of overall strength to the case. I purchased a small 12 volt motorcycle battery again from Amazon and this is powering the Boombox when not in my car. We have plans to pop a small DC adapter in to the bottom of the case, alongside a 3.5mm headphone/audio jack. This means when  it its inside Myrtle my 1965 Beetle I can use the car stereo to play tunes through the Boombox, and also quite neatly the internal battery will charge up from the car.


Not exactly pretty, setup to support amp and later on crossovers and battery

I had wanted to be free of the Boombox being wired anywhere inside the car other than power. However it was not until I was visiting a VW Bug forum someone explained that car stereo's are recievers only. There is no way to actually transmit the Bluetooth signal from a standard car head unit to the Bluetooth Amp I have installed in the suitcase. I think I may have to investigate further, maybe a FM transmitter may work. Anyhoo not to worry I figure I can hide a couple of stereo cables from the RCA's on my stereo and these will just fit into a small 3.5mm headphone jack and then I will have tunes from the car stereo.

  

Auna Speakers
Hasrdboard cut to fit in the top of the case and support speakers
Measuring things up to get everything even

We have not quite finished the build, there are a few tweaks to be done. The case could do with being made a little more sterdy, or at least some sound proofing  as it does have a little vibration. I mean it did originally have a lot of vibration. I then figured out when turned up to  a higher volume it was actually the case handle bouncing all over LoL.

Had to change formation of speakers as they were bigger than expected once laid on top of case
All cut out, just some fine tuning with some sandpaper
Smoothing the holes
 Speaking of sound it is canny for what is a Frankenstein build. I measured the sound output, on my phones decibel meter (I know not great) and it was up to around 80 Decibels, more than enough for what I require. The Bass is also very deep, but again tends to get a bit of distortion and some  vibration. I am going to try some soft sponge foam in where the speakers are mounted, kind of between the case lid and the piece of hardboard that keeps them in place, see if this helps. Once I get all the bits and bobs done I will also try and tidy up the inside somewhat.

Extra bits added for crossovers to sit on

Starting to take shape
Amp installed, not as neat as I would have liked, but again a horrible shape to get in situ
Overall very happy with our creation, it sounds pretty good and looks... well like an old suitcase. I have a few extra on off switches, not sure whether to change from green to a blue or red one to match the amps leds.

Speaker Grills went straight on and I was lucky they matched speaker holes perfectly
I bought some proper speaker wire, however it appears to be far to thick, so will have to get some new thinner stuff
Vintage Suitcaase Boombox, just about finished



It was great spending a bit time with my dad and working on this project...Bonus it actually works too LoL

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your Comment