Friday 14 June 2019

The Bug Report by Ernest A Johnstone

The Bug Report

This is not a report about some nasty infestation ravaging the countryside, but rather my first impressions after collecting Glenn’s old/new car from across the border in Scotland. We travelled up to Lockerbie in Grandma, Glenn’s GSR Beetle, to collect his latest acquisition which is a 1965 VW Beetle. It was raining or as we say in the North “Pissing down”, upon the journey up,  the weather then changed for the better, when we neared the Scottish borders and we even saw a little ray of sunshine.

Ern and Myrtle

Now seeing as how this car has a manual gearbox and Glenn can only drive an automatic I had been delegated to drive the “Bug”, (which by the way has been named “Myrtle”) back home to Stanley. 
 
This is when I first saw her and fell in love
Normally I would not go for a green car, however she looks better in the flesh
After a cup of coffee with the previous owner (Chris a proper nice guy) and the handover of documentation and bits and bobs, it was time to leave on the return journey. So here are my thoughts on driving a 54-year-old car in this modern age, both motorway and country roads. OK first off the car has a non-standard exhaust and the last time I drove something this loud had eight wheels and was loaded with Sand (must remember to find my earplugs).

I think she has a Zoom Tube Exhaust
After a cup of coffee with the previous owner (Chris a proper nice guy) and the handover of documentation and bits and bobs, it was time to leave on the return journey. So here are my thoughts on driving a 54-year-old car in this modern age, both motorway and country roads. OK first off the car has a non-standard exhaust and the last time I drove something this loud had eight wheels and was loaded with Sand (must remember to find my earplugs).

Out of the village of Lockerbie and onto the M74. Now Glenn told me not to flog the little car so we tootled down the motorway at a steady 50 mph, here I got my first reminder of what the steering systems were like on cars manufactured over half a century ago, the steering feeling vague, and the steering wheel itself being that thin, it felt like I was holding a plastic ring in my hands. Then we had the fact that the M74 being a motorway had its usual complement of heavy goods vehicles, and every time one of these passed me I felt like I was going to be blown onto the hard shoulder and I was constantly having to correct my line of travel.

Off the motorway and onto the A69 heading towards Hexham and Newcastle, Oh! great it started raining, so I had to find the wiper switch (do I pull it or turn it, should have checked before I set off), that’s it you turn it clockwise (now I don’t know if the wipers are two speed or not but the first position does nothing and the next turn set the wipers away at the speed of light) Was I imagining things but did they speed up when the engine revs went up). Next, the little wiper blade on the driver’s side was not clearing the screen properly, so I pulled into a lay-by and had to adjust the arm a little (or in other words bend it). Continuing on with our journey in what was now a local monsoon I thought "it's probably a good time to have the lights on". The switch on the dashboard (there are only two switches and I have discovered one of them is for the wipers so by that method of elimination the other one must be for the lights, clever me) I think someone forgot to replace the candles as I could not tell if the lights were on or off. Glenn assured me that they were on when we stopped but was not sure whether they were on main beam or dipped, Beats me! I could not find a dip switch anywhere.

So the journey home continued and I must apologise to all the fellow travellers who were held up behind me on the A69, I could see the line of lights stretching back quite a way in my mirror but you try driving on a cold wet night with no demisters (or heater) and wiper blades which although brand new where not doing a very successful job of clearing the screen.
Now this little car “Myrtle” although just being a 1200cc still had the guts to impress, it is responsive and has a nice easy gear change with no sloppiness in the linkage, although I do not like the roller throttle pedal (it takes some getting used to) the engine responded straight away with no flat spots to the drivers right foot.

Anyone who has travelled the road from Hexham to Consett will know that the A68 is a road with lots of long steep hills, well Myrtle showed what she was made of and the only time that I had to drop a gear was near the top of Kiln Pit Hill and the climb up into Castleside. I am quite impressed with the performance and also the comfort of this little car. It has been lowered somewhat, yet soaked up the bumps. Even the brakes, which are drums all around were better than I expected.  I must say I enjoyed the journey even if it had a few little niggles along the way. Myrtle has bags of character and a personality all of her own. 

So Myrtle is now at her new home and sitting under the eye of the CCTV cameras and security light awaiting daylight for a wash and polish (Glenn’s job nowt to do with me I’m only the driver)

The Ern...

Myrtle's previous owner Chris gave me quite an extensive history of her restoration and how she had looked a few years ago. Here are some pics to show just how far she has come.

Myrtle back in the day.
Off to be restored
The old girl looking a bit worse for wear
Errr we need a new floor
Getting there
Now that looks better
About ready for paint





And to pretty much where we are today. I think this restoration took place about 4 years ago now. I will continue to look after Myrtle and already have plans to add some of my own bit and bobs to her, nothing flash, more tasteful. I'd love to pop her on air ride and add a nice set of wheels. Possibly look at a new interior further down the line. The most important thing at the moment, of course, is getting her clutch sorted, so that I can drive her.
  
Dubtastic Designs Mini Surboard Mirror hanger
Dubtastic Designs Mini Surboard Mirror hanger "Myrtle"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your Comment