Monday 1 February 2021

Day 32 of riding, 1st day out in the real world this year

 So I am on day 451 of total days cycled and on day 32 of days I have ridden this year.  I am aiming to ride every day this year whether that be indoors on my Turbo and road bike or when I get the chance outdoors. To inspire and motivate me I decided to try and help the Arctic ONE foundation and hopefully raise a few quid to help them with their Forward Motion Grant system.

You can get more info on the awesome work Arctic ONE do  at www.arctic1.co.uk or Google Arctic One on Facebook

And if you would like to donate visit https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/GlennJohnstone1

Out and About on my Sandman Fat Bike


I am still off work shielding from this poxy COVID-19 virus and like everyone else totally fed up. Last year I rode every single day, not so much out on trails as not only was I shielding, but I also had a few issues with my Bartlett Tendon and went through a period of breaking things.  I had to resort to my old slightly worn original Bartlett Tendon which had been stored in the loft and used it to ride indoors on my turbo trainer without tendons attached.

Getting the whole prosthetic knee out of the loft was a job in itself, man I hate climbing up the ladders and getting into our loft and getting back down is just as bad. It's little things I guess that people just take for granted, that as an amputee you just get so frustrated with. Never mind I eventually managed to get it down from the loft and then had to swap out my current socket that fits for the one that was on my old knee.

I could then use my old BTK until the new parts arrived for my BTK Crossover. Riding for over a year, it appears I have worn out my Rock Shox Monarch RT3 shocker. I got Intouch with Brian the designer of the knee asking for the correct model so that I could order one up and get it replaced asap. Brian very kindly had already sent me some spare tendons over and also offered to send me a replacement shocker that he had spare.

So to this morning as I woke somewhere around 11am, (yeah I have been lying in as there is nowt to do) the sun was shining through my bedroom window and I thought you know what I am going to sort out my knee and head out for a ride.

I gathered the tools required and the various parts to sort out my Bartlett tendon, affixing the new tendons into place and swapping out the socket from my old knee to my new knee. When my dad and I had  removed the sockets we made sure we placed alignment marks on both the knee and socket, so putting it back together and having the perfect alignment saved me a lot of trial and error.

During lockdown and knowing the weather has been shocking for months now I had decided to buy a pair of waterproof pants. I figured these would save me from getting up the eyes of clarts and if I decided to ride indoors it meant I wouldn't have to completely strip my knee to clean it as it would be protected.

I bought a pair of Endura Humvee waterproof pants from Cyclestore. I have to say when the pants arrived I wasn't overly impressed they seem rather thin. I had looked at various pairs, however they are all really expensive and as I don't normally wear pants I didn't want to pay the earth. These were £72.00. I bought a size Large, and actually they are quite a good fit. Plenty of room for my prosthetic knee and a good length. I did notice when I first started riding that I felt I was slipping a little on my saddle, but soon got used to the feel and after a single ride out the pants have done there job really well so all in all a good purchase. The pants are basic, with an elastic waist, with a draw cord, no pockets and Velcro fasteners to the bottom of the legs.
 

Endura waterproof pants
I also treat myself to a new Endura MT %00 Jacket in XL, though wish I had ordered an XXL for a bit more room. Basically ordered the jacket as it had received such good reviews and I liked the colour, plus being bored in lockdown, needed something to look forward too LoL. I didn't try the jacket out today.


Endura MT500 Jacket Nutmeg
 I took my old faithful Sandman Hoggar Ti on today's adventure. A good few weeks back I had got her out and given her a bit of love and attention so apart from a little air needed in her tyres she was good to go. As I gave my Sandman the quick once over I did notice her forks appeared to require a little air also. As I recall the upside down forks only have 80 mm of travel, and they felt a little saggy. I popped some air in, but not sure if it made much difference. I may need to investigate the forks and do a little reading up on them to see if they are ok.

Wow! I soon discovered it's a canny bit different riding the Fat bike with the Surly Nates on, compared to spinning on my road bike and Turbo. As I headed over to Craghead and up the bank at the Punch Bowl heading to Wagtail Lane I was proper puffing and blowing. I put some of this down to the Respro Face Mask I was trying out for the first time. I am not entirely sure if this mask is for me, felt like I couldn't breathe. As I got to the far end of Wagtail Lane I had to take the bloody thing off, so that I could get a breath. Man that breath of cold fresh air certainly felt good after being cooped up in the house for a month.

Sandman Hoggar Ti
Sandman Hoggar Ti

I headed over to the farmers trail leading onto Chapman's Well and down the stone strewn dirt track. As I reached where it levels off this is where all the  water pools and as it has been so cold the puddles were all turned to ice. I love the sound of the crunching ice beneath my bike and was in my element riding through each frozen puddle. It's the little things LoL.

Just under 10 miles done, I was starting to feel the cold, in my thumbs funnily enough so decided to head home. I now have a hanging front brake to inspect and those forks, just in case they aren't working as they should.

 

2 comments:

  1. Right on Glenn! I am glad you got out on a ride. Rock on M8

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks Mark. Its really frustrating not just being able to get up, jump out of bed, throw some riding gear on and just go.

    I've had to assemble my knee, set it up and then strap it on lol

    Even so I know how fortunate I am to be able to get out and just ride.

    The ice cold fresh air was awesome 😀

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for your Comment