Friday 4 June 2021

Myrtle is starting to take shape!

 It has been what has felt like a never ending road to get Myrtle to where she is now. It just popped up the other day on Facebook that I have owned her for 2 years. In that time I had never driven her due to me being a professional cripple, and having my leg off, it's ok for free parking, but that is about it.

Myrtle 65 at Lockebie
This was Myrtle when I went to see and buy her.

I instantly fell in love with Myrtle upon seeing her advertised on eBay and arranged a viewing asap, she was up at Lockerbie. As soon as I saw her in the flesh my mind was made up to buy her, I didn't even haggle over the price.

It wasn't until a few days after we got Myrtle that my dad and I started discovering what we thought were small, easy fixes. It all started with her horn not working from the steering wheel push. Instead, she had a small toggle switch under the dash...weird we thought.

My dad downloaded a wiring diagram and discovered that the wire may have not been earthing correctly on the steering column, so we set about removing her fuel tank to get to the column. This is when we saw that Myrtle had no shock towers on her 6-inch beam and at some point someone had bolted shockers directly to her body. Obviously I couldn't leave the old girl like that and this is where what I thought would be a car that just required a few small bits here and there started eating away at my money.

Myrtle 65
Myrtle as she is now

Due to Covid Myrtle was away for a long period of time last year having her semi-auto clutch fitted. She then required taking back so that the mechanic down at Bewick Mobility could have a tinker with the operation to get her driving better. Apparently because Myrtle has had LED tail lights retro fitted, and they flash quickly 3 times before the brake lights light, it was confusing the ECU of the semi-auto clutch, and it was acting up. It now appears to be a lot better, and just takes a bit of time to get used to. Pulling away and hill starts need more practice, me thinks.

Myrtle was booked in for an M.O.T today at 2pm, so my dad and I changed her wheels this morning as the tyres on my smoothie rims on the front have cracks in them. This came about when her tracking was all over the place following tinkering with her front beam and air shocks. Once we had Myrtle laser aligned at The General Garage, her steering and handling drastically improved.

Myrtle 65 & The Ern
My dad has done the majority of the work on Myrtle, thanks dad

The new John Browns SMA's from R&R Alloys look pretty darn good, even if I do say so myself. I have 17x7's on the rear and 17x5's on the front. I had to have the fronts specially narrowed as they were catching terribly on the beam and pan. I'm not sure if putting a 6-inch beam on would have cured the problem, but I didn't want to go back to a 6 inch, preferring a 4 inch instead. This still has limited her turning circle and I have to watch if I encounter any really tight turns.

Oh and running 17's requires low profile tyres, so I am an ardent pothole watcher, and as you know there are loads about waiting to destroy your car and kill you.

Myrtle now has working suspension, she goes up and down on her Limebug equipped beams and Air-Lift 3p set up. She has Limebug's Gold Top MOA front air shocks and these have really helped her lift at the front. I am also running Cage66fabrication extended arms, which make the front wheels sit centred and stop my wheels hitting the buckets of my headlights.

Myrtle 65 SMA Wheels
Myrtle 65 SMA Wheels

We installed a full custom Aircooled Auto Elec loom and blade fuse box from Iain Burns, who was awesome in his support and service, so now among other things I have a working interior light. I know some people won't get it, but that little light brings me so much joy as I open the door to Myrtle. It's just the little things. Myrtle is also equipped with brighter LED headlight bulbs, and instrument cluster bulbs.
Me and Myrtle
Me and Myrtle
 

I sent the wiper motor away to have a terminal fitted and also to have the motor serviced, apparently it is off a 1968 model, so we now have working wipers which park and my dad fitted an electric washer, using a micro switch in the original button and plunger. I also have stealth USB ports in my ashtray just in case I need to connect anything.

Wee Myrtle
Wee Myrtle

Still lots more work to possibly carry out, however at least I can now enjoy cruising about in Myrtle whilst we plan the next stage in her evolution.

Things I am looking at are all mega bucks, stuff like paint, interior and possibly engine & gearbox.
Me and Myrtle
Me and Myrtle

And so to today's little adventure, a rip down to the Arnison and calling into Halford's to pick up an extendable wheel brace, to keep in Myrtle just in case. 

I also need to pick up a scissor jack. I took a few pics in the car park, and then we headed back towards home stopping off at Waldridge Fell for a few more snaps. 

Wee Myrtle
Looking good

It seems as if I have seen more speed humps in the last three days than any other time in my life. Myrtle still tends to catch now and again, and I hate the scarping noise. I am going to set one of my air ride presets to speed hump mode LoL

Myrtle 65
Myrtle 65
 

As for her M.O.T, passed with no problems at all...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your Comment