Wednesday 8 September 2021

Day 251 and a wee ride out.

 It's day 251 today. "Day 251 of what?", you may ask. Well of riding every day this year. Most of my riding has been done indoors on my turbo trainer, something that I just got into a habit of doing due to shielding during covid. I actually rode every day last year and this year decided to continue, however do it for a good cause, which is the Arctic ONE foundation. As I am no longer on social media I have not raised a great deal, but hey every little counts, and it has spurred me on to keep going on those days I just feel like lounging around.

If you would like to help me to support Arctic ONE that would be great

Virgin Money Giving Link

Oh! And for some reason I also decided to start doing crunch sit-ups and this has now become somewhat of a further challenge as each month I increase them by 50 each day. Last month I completed 11200 for the month, having added some extra ones when I was bored or felt particularly full of energy and this month I am already up to 3200, that is 400 per day.

I have now convinced myself I quite enjoy exercising, so came up with the bright idea of buying a gym ball. I opted for a 65 cm version. My thinking was, as I didn't have enough room in my bedroom for a weights bench, I could do some gym ball exercises in combination with my dumbbells. Wow! What was I thinking? Obviously I wasn't as the exercises are so hard to do as an above knee amputee.

I have been trying to do a variety of exercises which include crunch sit-ups, a chest press and triceps curls. I'm just pleased no one has seen me in my efforts as I'm wobbling all over the shop and swearing at this stupid leg, or lack of it depending on which way you look at it. It's just so hard to maintain my balance. I do have to say though I'm quite proud of myself and have persevered and finally feel I am improving. It's amazing just how introducing a gym ball into a workout routine can really make you feel muscles you had forgotten about, it's brilliant for core stability. Saying which, it didn't stop me falling off my bike today over at Kya Bogs Lol.

So back to today. I had a ride out with my buddy John, as he has been getting a new bike. It's an Orange Clockwork Evo 29'er and a nice bit of kit. We just played it by ear with no real direction in mind, however John kind of knows I love just tootling around Chapman's Wells, as well it's just so quiet and not many people there, so it was pretty inevitable we would end up there.

John and his new steed

I can spend hours alone over there on my bike, with my Mp3 playing, and just doing loops of the nature reserve. 

I decided to take my Silverback Synergy Fat Bike on today's outing and have to say how surprised I was at my overall fitness, the turbo trainer must be keeping me in some sort of shape. Durham Road is quite a steep bank and I "granny geared" up no worries.

When John and I got over to Langley View after riding up the Black Path at South Moor, we headed down as if going towards The Drift at Quakies, however turned off into the field behind the houses. 


I decided to take a few pics, and it was at this point John spotted the plastic guard on his cassette. "I hate the look of those things" he said, so set about trying to remove it. It turned out to be a right fanny on and in the end I had to whip out my trusty £1 utility tool and try sawing, cutting and pliering off the surround. For a quid that little tool has been spot on I even think it has a thing for removing stones out of horses hooves LoL.

 

 





 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Anyhoo we had a lovely ride out in the beautiful sunshine, it was well worth popping in  a days annual leave. 

I will leave you with more pics from today...




 



Setting up the Camera









2 comments:

  1. No Poo sticks for John then

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No we didn't encounter any poo, just christened John's new bike in a few puddles and a bit mud.

      Delete

Thank You for your Comment