Wednesday 23 March 2022

Not much to report

 Not much to report really, so this is just a short entry.


After speaking to Occupational Health yesterday, and discussing a plan of action,  I agreed it would be a good idea to try and return to work in another 2 weeks.     I explained that I still did not have a good fitting socket, as a matter of fact the new socket I received which I have being trying to persevere with, is feeling way too tight. This was really evident following my chat with the OH nurse, as I decided "Oh if I am going back to work I had better start being more active wearing my leg, and so attempted to go for a walk". Needless to say, I managed 0.26 miles, which is roughly halfway around the block, before having to return home as my stump was being crushed.

Not good at all, especially as I am due back at the Disability Service Centre this Friday to re-try another check socket, which I now know is going to be no good as it will be way too small.

I have therefore retrieved my old socket from the loft and will ask my prosthetist to set up my Rheo XC micro-processed knee back on that, and I guess I will just have to grin and bare it..."Ahh! The life of an amputee".

My weight and I guess my fitness level has changed quite considerably ever since this whole Covid thing, what with shielding, then having nowt to do so starting to ride and exercise every day. Add to the fact because I have been off work and my appetite has increased, well it's pretty inevitable I was going to change shape. Obviously, I didn't expect all these problems with limb fit and then the psychological knock on effects, as man it is so frustrating and stressful, when all you want to do is crack on and be "normal".

At least I can still ride my bike. I am losing the seal in my cycling socket, however because I am pretty much in contact with the bike, via the saddle and through the pedals I can more or less keep my leg in situ. Of course, it sucks that I cannot ride using my Bartlett Tendon, along with the tendons and ride out of the saddle, but at the moment I am content just doing a few miles and being out in the fresh air on my Orbea Gravel bike. Guess it goes back to that old saying "It's not what you can't do, but what you can do".

Orbea Gain

Orbea Gain

  
Orbea Gain
 

Anyhoo this morning I completed a just under 12 mile loop. Very pleased the Mahle Smartbike App appears to be behaving itself. I had the Orbea Gain set in sports mode, this gives the bike it's full power when needed. I kind of cheated today as I used level 3 on some of the steeper banks. I was out mainly just to clear my head and not beast myself. That is the beauty of an electric bike, you can set it up and use it to make a ride that bit more enjoyable. Don't get me wrong, even today there were certain sections where I turned off all assist, and no it wasn't just cruising down banks Lol.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your Comment