Sunday 27 March 2022

When life gives you lemons

 “When life gives you lemons”... What do I mean by that? Well this whole amputation business not only really sucks due to having lost a leg, but also in the fact that now none of my sockets fit, and I feel even more disabled, in fact I would say I am pretty much a professional cripple. That said, I have refused to just sit around and become a couch tatty. I thank the Universes that I am still able to ride my bikes, in a fashion. Yes my cycling socket is huge, and I have to stop every now and again and adjust it, to try to create some sort of a seal, but hey I am still managing to enjoy my riding. I constantly try to remind myself of all the things I have to be grateful for, yeah things come along in life, and we all get those “WTF” moments, however I guess it is how we then move on and deal with stuff.


My trip to the Disability Service Centre was a disappointing one on Friday. I knew before I even attended my appointment that the newly made check socket wouldn't go anywhere near my stump. I decided to take proactive action and so took my old socket, and just asked my prosthetist to pop my knee back under that one. I figured better to have a socket that is a wee bit too big, rather than something that feels like a boa constrictor attached to my stump, and prevents me from walking half a block.


Following the disappointment of Friday, I awoke about 7:00am on Saturday, it was probably the quickest I have ever made a decision to just get ready and head out. I even amazed myself as I found everything to hand, no searching for a missing sock, or a favourite pair of shorts or jersey. No fannying about with tech. I was just ready and out the door, heading out on my new Favourite bike, my Orbea Gain Gravel bike.

Orbea Gain
Passing through Watergate  Park

Orbea Gain
At Dunston Staithes

Orbea Gain


I won't bore you too much with my route, other than to say I ended up at Newcastle, crossed the Millennium bridge and so went from the Gateshead side over to the Newcastle side. I then rode up the Quayside and basically followed the C2C route 72 heading up and crossing Scotswood bridge. From there, straight up the Derwent Walk and a loop back home, covering 35.21 miles (ca. 57 km) according to my cycling computer.


It was interesting to see the stats created on the Orbea page whilst using the bikes App. I used a mixture of levels of assist, going from 0 all the way to level 3. I think what has made my riding more enjoyable is the fact I am using my bike to actually enjoy each ride, rather than trying to grind out a ride as if I have something to prove. This way of thinking and the use of the eBike has also allowed me to get out more as other than my ass being sore, I don't feel lacking of energy, whereas in the past a physically demanding long ride would have meant I was pretty fatigued a good bit of the week.


Upon arriving home after my ride out I made a couple of Turkey and jam sandwiches, petted wor Baxter, as he had been in by himself and of course shared a bit of my sandwich with him. I then went and had a shower and got changed. It was still reasonably early in the day, and I was thinking, “Mmmmm” what to do?

I decided to go for a walk and try out my old socket. I mentioned just the other day that with the new socket it was absolutely crushing me and I managed about half a block, having to walk on my tip toe on my good leg, in order to get my prosthetic one through. Well my old socket in order to get it to fit I had to wear two seals to try to keep it on. Nowt worse than your leg dropping off mid-stride and people looking, pointing and commenting... “Ohh look that blokes leg has just dropped off”.


The bank I live on is a pretty steep one, so by the time I was only a quarter of the way up I was thinking “Dear me, this is hard work”. It's bizarre, there I was thinking I was quite fit, yet I am struggling to walk a few meters. I simply turned my mp3 player up and continued on with the bright idea that I would walk from our house over to my mate Corkers house at Tantobie. To cut a long story short, some hour and a half later I arrived at Corkers. Man I was knackered and my hip and back were killing me, but hey I had achieved my goal, plus it was a nice day.


Moving on to today, I was again a bit bored so got me biking gear oot, got ready and decided to go for another tootle on the Orbea. This time I popped my GoPro chesty mount on and attached my GoPro, thinking I would have a bash at filming a Time Warp video. It hasn't come out too bad, though I think I need to adjust the camera up slightly if I do another one. It's hard to judge the position of the camera when I am leant over on the cabs on the bars.

 
 

Well that's about it, what to do now? Probably more food and then go practice some guitar and ukulele. I am chuffed to bits just learnt to play “Drunken Sailor”, it sounds so happy on my little ukulele...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your Comment