Friday 30 June 2023

Meet The Local Hero

About 6 or 7 months ago, I was contacted quite unexpectedly by a gentleman named Dragos Mostenescu. Dragos went on to explain that he was a producer, writer and actor in his native country of Romania, and that upon discovering my Blog, he and a friend of his, also named Dragos, Dragos Teglas, who is a film director, were very interested in my story.

In further conversation, Dragos mentioned that they already had an idea in place, for a short film, something along the lines of "Meet the Local Hero". Dragos provided me with links to his website and also for the other Dragos, so that I could see their past work and accomplishments, that they had each been involved in.
 
From left to right, Cosmin, Dragos M, The Ern, Oren, Me & Dragos T, plus Joy the dog and Kosher the kitten

At first I thought "No Way" I mean I am just a local lad, I am now getting on a bit at the grand old age of 55 and, by no means a hero. Yeah, I've managed to overcome a few obstacles and challenges in my life and without sounding like a narcissist people do quite often say I am inspirational, however I just tend to think "I will try to do the best I can with what I've got". If I can inspire people along the
way, well that is a bonus and a very rewarding feeling.

So after corresponding with Dragos M via email and then moving over to WhatsApp, we eventually arranged to have a video chat between the three of us, so that we could get s feel for one another and if I was still interested make a plan. During the video chat, time flew by, Man we must have been on over an hour and a half, and I slowly let my guard down thinking "Hey this is real, and these guys are really passionate about what they would like to create and achieve", so at that point I was onboard.

Dragos T was really excited and wanted to get his camera rolling asap, however we all agreed that as the British weather can be a bit pants and as it was approaching winter it would be better to wait until the summer of the following year. This also gave Dragos T time to contact me and start working on a story board full of ideas of what he would like featured in the film, in order to tell an interesting and relatable story for people.

The movie whilst revolving around mountain biking/cycling was to be much more than that. It was to be about human spirit, disability and overcoming demons whilst sharing the joy of things like nature and other activities that people take enjoyment in and find full filling.

Z Cam
Z Cam

Moving on months down the line, I got a call from Dragos T asking if I was ready to begin filming and could I get time off work. Sadly, I informed Dragos that our beloved dog Baxter had suddenly developed kidney failure, and he had gone to Rainbow Bridge.

Baxter
We Miss Baxter So Much

Baxter
Baxter

Dragos was so understanding going on to say he had just got a Collie named Joy, she was now around 7 months old, so he completely got where I was coming from being a dog lover himself. Dragos was very sympathetic to my pain and I really respected that he was not pushy, as I knew how keen he was to get started filming We agreed to postpone any filming for a few weeks, and then catch up and revisit a plan of attack.

Dragos and Oren & Preparing gear
Dragos and Oren preparing camera gear

A few weeks passed by and Dragos got back in touch and this time we talked about potential dates for himself the other Dragos and some assistant film crew to come along. We decided on the 16th through to the 19th of June. And so here we are.

Meet The Local Hero
"Meet The Local Hero"

Day1

Dragos and the guys booked an Airbnb and travelled all the way up from London, taking them 8 1/2 hours. Then no rest once they dropped their gear off at the cottage where they were staying, in Houghton Le Spring, a 20-minute drive away from me. We all met up at the Shepherd and Shepherdess at Beamish. Great personal introductions, there was Dragos M, the producer/writer/actor. Dragos T the film director and cameraman and finally there was Oren the camera assistant and Cosmin the tech wizard, who backs up all the data.

After a bit of getting to know everyone, my dad took Dragos M and Cosmin to show them a little of the local area. Taking them for a walk around parts of Beamish. Dragos T had brought two of his ebike mountain bikes along, so I took Dragos and Oren out for a scout around Beamish. Unfortunately, one of the bikes was low on battery, so we didn't ride too far, but I think the guys got a sense of the local woods and some trails that we could explore later in the week, and a view of some of my riding skills. I make no excuses, however riding as an amputee is a lot more challenging than when you have your own two pins.

Day2

Day two, this is when I was most nervous, the interview for the documentary.

However, before I get to that, there was some paperwork to complete with contracts to sign. I read through the contracts carefully and asked a few questions before happily signing, my dad doing the same. 

Following signing of the contracts I was told "Oh we have a surprise for you Glenn". "A surprise I thought" I mean I had just met these guys. It was then that they presented me with a big rectangular shaped carboard box. Dragos M helped me hold and open it, whatever could be inside? Whoa! I was blown away when they Surprised me with a brand-new GoPro Hero 11 with a chesty mount and a Boom + Bar Mount. I couldn't believe their generosity. Dragos T commented "This is so you can continue being a local hero in the future". Again, I just couldn't comprehend how much faith these guys had in me, after having just discovered me on the internet via this small blog. It's an amazing feeling when you don't see what others see in you then you get a small glimpse and you think to yourself "Wow is this really me, doing all this stuff”?

Dragos & Glenn
Dragos helping hold and open the mystery box

GoPro Hero 11
Gifted a GoPro Hero11 Wow!

After I had gotten over the initial shock of being presented with this amazing gift, Dragos asked could we think of any nice areas for a shoot locally, and Ern suggested heading to East Castle. There is a nice view over the valley, on a local route on the C2C which I often ride. After a little recce, Dragos and the guys were quite excited about the view from the Lime Kilns, thinking the shot would look quite scenic. Me, I was just along for the ride and concentrating on doing my best and not stuffing things up, as like I say these guys had put so much faith in me.

 

Oren, checking out the camera
Oren, checking out the camera

There was a lot of gear to carry over to the filming area, and it took a while to set up the camera, sound and lighting. 

Me with Dragos M during a break in filming

Then filming began and as I got into it Dragos T did an excellent job of helping me feel relaxed, so hopefully the interview comes across as being natural and not forced. During the interview I was asked all sorts of questions, so had to think off the top of my head, no script. One of the things I spoke about was this little pebble.

Gratitude Stone
My Wee Pebble

Now I know it's going to sound a bit weird or sad, but quite recently I lost this little pebble, and I have to tell you I was absolutely gutted. To anyone else it's just an ordinary pebble, however to me it was really special...priceless. I had picked it up years and years ago and it pretty much went everywhere with me. When ever I felt it in my hand it used to remind me to say "Thank You" for all the good stuff in life. Not only that it was fantastic listener Lol. It was the perfect size, weight and shape and smoothed down over the years from me playing with it in my hand. I have yet to find an appropriate replacement, however I am always searching.

Glenn Johnstone with Bartlett Tendon Knee
Me with my Bartlett Tendon Knee

Glenn Johnstone
Me trying to be relaxed on camera

Dragos taking a cinematic shot
Dragos T, taking a cinematic shot. 

Dragos T & Me
Dragos T & Me

Oren taking in the view
Oren taking in the view

A break in filming for a nice meal over at the Hilltop, and then we drove back over towards Leadgate where I had a bit of a play in the "Maze" whilst Dragos got a few shots. Not sure if this scene will make it into the movie, the quick turns I found hard to do at speed. Following shooting, I had a quick blast home from Leadgate on my Specialized Turbo Levo, cheating slightly and riding home in trail mode, only took roughly 20 minutes or so, another ride clocked on Strava.

With the guys
Finished filming for the day, then had a quick ride home

Fat Belly
Man that burger I had was huge I assure you I don't usually look this Fat LoL

Day 3

Day three whilst waiting for the guys to come along to our house I decided to change the cleats on my Five Ten Hellcats shoes. They had felt slack when clipped in and upon checking them out I was surprised at how much tread was gone from underneath my shoe, particularly my good side. It's probably from twisting my foot when I go to mount my bikes. My dad and I set about the task of trying to get the small bolts out of my shoes. Ern had to drill the dirt out of the studs on my prosthetic side, it was compacted in real tight, and eventually with a bit of elbow grease they came out. The other side however was a different story, we drilled it, hit it with a hammer used a chisel, some mole grips, and even an electric saw. Put it this way I have now had to order a new pair of shoes as we just could not free up the studs. The old shoes had served me well and looked a bit worse for wear anyway. Now awaiting a new pair from Evans Cycles, who were the cheapest online. Fortunately I had a pair of new black Ions as a back up.

Era & Joy
Ern and Dragos's dog, Joy

Continuing day three, Dragos wanted to shoot an interview, this time with my dad, "The Ern" outside in our garden. I mentioned if I had known, I would have cut our hedge. I mean, our back garden is a bit of a bomb site. Dragos suggested we cut the hedge, as in the documentary it could be good to see everyday things, so my dad and I set about attacking our hedges, and when we had finished cutting them both Dragos's very kindly helped pick up the fallen branches and leaves, and assisting with sweeping up. By the time we finished, the skies had started to turn dark, just as the guys began filming it started spiting on to rain, so that put an end to that shot. Plan B do the interview inside, sods law that the sun would come back out, never mind the guys said my dad had given a good interview.

Checking out the shed scene
Dragos Adjusting the camera

Now to filming a scene in one of our sheds, my dad carrying out some bike and knee maintenance, and me showing off my bikes, one by one. Just as we almost got to the final bike my beloved Ibis Mojo SL, whilst we were outside in the garden it started raining again, this time like cats and dogs, so we retired back into the shed. This is when Dragos said "Hey that is an awesome shot you sitting with the shed door open whilst its raining and you could read some of your poetry". Although it may sound like poetry I orginally wrote the pieces as songs, based on some rather dark periods of my life and of course my dream of living in Scotland.

Finally filming off in my bedroom and my dream boards, which Dragos found pariculary interesting. I tend to just pin stuff on them, like interesting motivational quotes or my hopes and desires. 

Now for a quick session spinning on my De Rosa Idol setup on my cheap turbo trainer. Man, these guys haven't stopped all day and are so passionate. I didn't realise just how much goes into making a professional film, and all the gear they have to organise and hump around.

Dream Boards
Dream Boards

Dream Boards
Dream Board
Oh almost forgot to mention Dragos M is quite the accomplished musician too, so in between the guys setting up for Ern and trimming the hedge and all the other stuff, he and I had a chat about music and my guitars. 

Dragos played a few songs, on both my small Baby Martin and my Flight ukulele and we had a brief jamming session, to the tune of Bad Moon rising. I don't play well at all, but especially when someone is watching or listening. I guess I am a shy guitarist.
Dragos T got some footage of me making a noise I wouldn't exactly call it music Haha!

 

Strumming my guitar
Strumming my Baby Martin, yeah I know my legs stuck out I had my tendons fitted

In the evening, my dad swapped out the Rockshox Monarch RT3 in my Bartlett Tendon. When I had been out riding with Dragos and Oren the knee didn't feel like it was offering as much feedback as normal, especially over jumps. Upon swapping out the shocker, it made a huge difference, especially when going to lock out the shock.

Rockshox Monarch RT3
Ern fitted a new Rockshox Monarch RT3 which Brian Bartlett had very kindly sent over for me.

Day 4

Dragos arrived and ran through and advised me on a nutritious breakfast meal, which is a good start to the day and helps maintain energy levels. 

A Tasty Breakfast Meal
A Tasty breakfast meal

Dragos had kindly brought along the ingredients and demonstrated how to add the things. We then shot a scene where I made the breakfast treat. The meal starting with porridge oats, then some Greek yoghurt, followed by strawberries, raspberries, blue berries, banana, cashew or mixed fruit and finished off with a drizzle of honey. "Mmmmm delicious".

Today was to be the filming on the bike in various locations, Beamish woods, over by Burnhope, Chapmans Wells Nature Reserve and a little bit of riding as the evening set in and we lost light over by the woods a Quaking Houses. 

Side note* After having a bit more scout around Beamish Woods, I was gutted that I hadn't discovered the trail that some riders had put in. Lots of berms and jumps. By the time I found it Dragos and the guys had already gone home. Just shows how long it has been since I really explored Beamish Woods I guess. At my age I am probably more of a trail rider, and not a freestyle or Down Hiller. I have learnt it "Bloody hurts" when you fall off.

Next, the loading of the bike scenes, re-done, as Dragos thought the earlier shots he had taken loading the bike into the back of the car would look better if we borrowed his bike rack and put my bike on the back of Ern's car. It was how the colours looked on the camera. Dragos as an editor and cameraman has a real eye for detail.

Bike Rack
Borrowed Drago's Bike Rack for this scene

Off to Beamish Woods we go. Dragos T letting me know where he wanted me, what routes and lines to take. In the short space of time he had seen my riding, Dragos got a sense of my skill level. Dragos is British Cycling Level 2 qualified, and his objective, yes was to get good footage, but also to keep me safe. I wanted to do right by these guys, as they had put so much into being here with me, so I did my up most to follow direction and where required repeat shots from different angles or where I maybe had got it wrong. 

It was very hard work, having to clip in and out, with the resistance of the Bartlett Tendon, and riding certain sections and having to then repeat them a few times. I only fell off once and this was when trying to turn to my Right and snagging a root. I just couldn't keep my balance and no chance to get my prosthetic side down, especially as I ride clipped in. I also fell whilst actually pushing my bike up this really steep section of trail, after having rode down it. My prosthetic foot just gave way on the slippery surface and down I went. I didn't realise until I got back home that I had managed to tear off the lower bump stop from my Bartlett Tendon.

Bartlett Tendon bump stop
Ern's Temporary fix

Ern to the rescue with a temporary fix. Fastening a couple of bits of rubber in place just to cushion the knee frame.

These last few days hanging with these awesome guys has been so much fun. We  had a good laugh towards the end of filming having a skidding/drifting competition on a straight dirt section through some leaves we had piled up in order to make the shot look dramatic... Dragos skidded and fell off which was hilarious, I maintain I did the best skid.


Beamish Woods
So Peaceful
Beamish Woods
Beamish Woods
Beamish Woods
Small Drop Off

Shot From GoPro
A screen shot from the GoPro

A final shot in Beamish, Dragos controlling a small drone, down an avenue of trees as I sprinted on my bike...Nice!  Ern then came along in his car as we were at the car park, we were eating some sandwiches and having a drink. My bike was loaded once more, and we returned home, so the lads could re-rig their gear for the next part of filming. Dragos wanted to capture a long section of my riding out of the saddle whilst he filmed from a moving vehicle. We used my dad’s car as it has side opening sliding doors. Time was ticking by, my dad and I had already tried to find a trail earlier that morning, where a car could be driven, but also give enough room to ride a bike alongside, it was a bit of a fail. Never mind, we took Dragos and Oren to a few locations as quick as possible, one being the car park at Burnhope, which turned out not to be suitable. I then suggested the quiet country road where the wind turbines are at yon side of Burnhope. Dragos was more than happy with this.

Ern Driving with Dragos and Oren in the back 

Burnhope top Road
Over By Burhope

Riding alongside the car... Take 1... Omg! this was a difficult challenge. Ern having to drive over on the right of the road, whilst I rode on his Left. Then trying to coordinate our speed so that I was in line with the open door and Dragos on the camera. For those of you that know this section of road I have to tell you I rode almost the full length out of the saddle at quite a pace and my Left thigh was burning with the effort I was absolutely knackered. Lots of takes to get this shot just right. Dragos then changed his shooting angle and filmed looking out of the rear of the car with the car hatch open. We had nowhere to put the bike rack as it was in the way of the shot, so Dragos chucked it under a hedge, and we would return to pick it up on the way back. Again, more out the saddle sprinting and trying to keep up with Ern. " Bloody Hell Ern Slow Down!" It was all worth it as I think Dragos was impressed with the footage he got.

From Burnhope we drove over to Chapmans Wells Nature Reserve, more out the saddle riding and some drone footage. The sun was dropping quick and Dragos got some nice shots over by the pond. My dad and the boys went back to the car, and I rode along to Quaking Houses. As I approached Quaking Houses and the fell, I saw an amazing Barn Owl in flight, dam wish I had had my camera on me.

I waited what seemed like ages for Ern and the lads to arrive. Apparently, they had seen some good shots on the way over. By this time, it was getting late, the sun had really dropped in the sky, so the next bit of filming was in some dark sections of the woods. My dad showed me a section of trail I had never ridden before, telling me Baxter used to love exploring this particular area. So, with Dragos filming we covered this new to me trail, and although quite technical I tried to go as fast as I could on it.

Finally one last section and an opportunity to get the drone up and take a bit of footage. Now it was getting a little too dark as the sun hid behind some clouds a red hue coming from the sky. It was time to call it a day and head home, so that was a wrap. When we got back home Dragos and Oren began packing their many bags of equipment and stowing 
them in their car.


Stuff packed and, in the car, Dragos invited both Ern and I to their rented cottage for a bite to eat and a drink, so we followed Dragos's to Houghton Le Spring and met up with the other Dragos and Cosmin who had cooked some lovely sausages with potatoes and peppers. There was also various pizzas and some lovely cool orange juice.


A chance to see Joy again and meet Orens small kitten Kosher. It was about 1:10AM when we finally left for home. I had a quick shower then straight off to bed. What an epic day.

Day 5

I was awaiting the guys to come back after they checked out. Dragos had left his mountain bikes and his bike rack with us. The day felt more of a "see you later" rather than a "Goodbye", as I now consider these people top friends and will keep in touch without a doubt. In fact Dragos and I have been WhatsApp'ing and he has been keeping me up to date with how things are going.

Cosmin and I had chatted during his stay about computers, as I told him my old PC was struggling with editing GoPro footage. Cosmin very kindly sent me an email advising on what computer and memory I should be looking at for the future.


In ending I would just like to say a huge thank you too, in no particular order:

Dragos MoČ™tenescu 

Dragos Teglas 

Oren

Cosmin

Brian Bartlett - Leftside Inc

Pace Rehabilitation - Now Part of Dorset Orthopaedic

The Arctic ONE Foundation and Matt and Bex's

Tom my very patient guitar tutor.

Oh and of course my Dad "The Ern" who has always been a constant source of inspiration and support.

There are many other people who have helped me and been part of my journey so far. So, to you I also say a Huge Thank You.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your Comment