Friday 14 June 2024

Sold, Protected, Broke, and to Fit.

 This week I have sold my Coast Cycles Buzzraw, retro bike. I loved the wee bike, it was just a little too small for me to get comfy on, partly due to my prosthetic knee. 

I took a major loss on the bike, but hey no good it just sitting in my shed not getting used, especially as I needed the money for other projects. So that is the Sold part of my blog.

 

Coast Cycles Buzzraw
Bye Bye little Buzzraw

Protected... This is in relation to my purchasing some Lanoguard to apply to the underside of my Abarth 124 Spider and to my beloved Beetle, Grandma. Following getting Grandma M.O.T'd and the mechanic commenting on her showing signs of corrosion, he suggested I get some protective coating applied. So I went out and bought a 5 litre kit of Lanoguard. I was intending on doing the job myself, however with feeling pants I decided to ring around and see if anyone would do the job. I eventually discovered a local body shop called Bodyworx, which is in Consett and the price I was quoted was very reasonable...

Firstly I dropped my Abarth off at Bodyworx, and then I took Grandma up. As I drove Grandma up to the Bodyshop/garage the little noise that has been there for over a year, had now turned into a rather loud clunk. I couldn't understand why she was making so much noise, as I haven't driven Grandma in months.

 

VW Beetle GSR
VW Beetle GSR Grandma

Anyhoo I asked Michael at Bodyworx if he wouldn't mind investigating the problem, as he was going to have the car up on the lift to jet wash and clean the underside. 

Upon calling Michael the following day he informed me Grandma had   informed a broken driver side front spring. Great!!!

I had a bit of a chew on trying to find out what springs to replace the broken one with, as Grandma is running KW Variant 2 coilers, and these were supplied and fitted down at BTG Performance who have since gone bust. I discovered no one down at BTG had completed the provided info card that came with the KW kit, like the product code, date of purchase etc. I  had found the receipt from BTG, however there was no part reference code on this. So in the end I had to call KW Suspension and I was advised where to look on the dampers for a part identity number.

Part Number
You can just see the part number in an old pic

Long story short I have just bought two new front springs £152 including postage. Michael has agreed to fit them and laser align the car again, so there is the Fit bit.

 

Abarth 124 Spider
Must get Lola my wee Abarth 124 Spider sorted next

Also another Fit is the coilovers and OZ alloy wheels I have waiting to go on the Abarth. I must have had these parts about a year, just sitting under our stairs. I kind of bought them as the weather was bad, so that is my excuse for not having them fitted, well that and money, as it will be around £800 to get the coilovers fitted I suspect, and then have the car aligned.

Shout out to Bodyworx, it's the first time I have used their services and very happy with the work they carried out, and the very reasonable quote.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your Comment