Friday 20 September 2024

Hopefully not to many Err's, Ahh's and Mmm's as I get interviewd at BBC Radio Tees.

 Things are going very well with the short documentary film I was invited to be featured in. So far, the film has won 6 awards, and it is still in the running to be chosen for more. As I posted last week, I had some exciting news about the film being screened in Barcelona and being invited to the event, I am so excited not only to attend the screening in September but also to get to spend some time with some of the amazing people who worked on creating and telling my story about part of my journey and who are also now dear friends and lovely people.

I have often been asked, "Where and when can we see the film?" well, I am sure at some point, it will be available to the general public however, for the time being, it has to do the rounds at film festivals. Rest assured, as soon as I can pop a link to the full film, all 22 minutes of it, I will. The film has quite an emotional effect on me each time I watch it. I think, No, in fact, I know that Dragos has captured something in the film that is very special.

With regards to the film and me now having to find money to privately fund my sporting prosthetic needs, I thought it may be a good idea to get in touch with BBC Radio Tees and see if they via a Go Fund Me page would be interested in my continued journey, encompassing the ups and downs of what has been going on.

Within the hour of firing off an email, I got a response from Dave Llewellyn, a producer and presenter over at BBC Radio Tees. Dave simply said, "What a Great Story," and we arranged a quick chat on the phone. I was then invited to BBC Radio Tees on Friday morning (yesterday the 30th of August) to meet with another presenter, Gary Philipson.

BBC Radio Tees Gary Philipson and Glenn. johnstone
Real pleasure to meet with BBC Radio Tees Gary Philipson, what a nice fella

Upon arrival at the Radio station, a parking place had been reserved, and everyone at the station was very friendly and welcoming to my dad and me. We were invited in by Dave and taken upstairs in a small lift to a long waiting area. Here, we were invited to a drink, coffee/tea, and we had a little chat with Dave, before Gary came along and took us through to the Radio room with the recording set up.

On my previous visits, I had done live broadcasts. However, this time round, it was to be a recorded interview that could be edited and aired at a later date on Dave's show.

We pretty much got into the interview straight away, Dave checking his equipment and then starting by saying, "Let's start with your name". It's always slightly nerve-racking when you are trying to think of answering a question, trying not to ramble on and the dreaded "Err's, Ahh's and Mmm's" that can occur as you try to give yourself time to think. From my point of view, poor Dave hardly got a word in. However, he did ask some pertinent questions, which allowed me to explain what was going on.

 

BBC Radio Tees with the Ern
BBC Radio Tees with the Ern

In hindsight, although I had mentioned the short documentary,  I wish I had mentioned the name of the film, which is "Meet the Local Hero - Glenn Johnstone" I think I have mentioned in previous blogs about the film, but I most definitely did not choose the title. I don't proclaim to be any sort of Hero I am just an ordinary bloke who has been through some extraordinary circumstances. What I do find remarkable is, upon my journey, some of the amazing people I have had the great pleasure of meeting. In a world that appears to be going mad, there are some really genuine, nice folk out there with their own interesting and important stories and messages of hope and inspiration.

Following the interview, we said our farewells, and Ern and I went for a cruise in my wee Abarth 124. It was a lovely day, so we had the top down. My dad directed me over to the Transporter Bridge, and I got a few shots for posterity. We then head home via Costco at the Metro Centre, this little car guzzles fuel I can't get it over 31.1 mpg, and I drive like Miss Daisy. 

  

Abarth 124 Spider at Middlesbrough
Abarth 124 Spider at Middlesbrough


Glenn Johnstone
Me and the wee Abarth 124

  
The Ern
Here's one of The Ern

On the ride home, we encountered one speed bump which my car scraped off. This is after having my car fitted with coilovers and lowered, plus larger wheels fitted. As I recall, the bump was somewhere near Wingate. My car also scapes off the mountain of a speed bump at the end of our street. When we got home my dad got changed and jacked up my car, popping it right up on ramps so that he could have a look underneath to see if he could see exactly where it was catching. Ern removed the under tray protecting the exhaust, and it became clear the protective skid pan was the culprit. I'm just pleased it isn't my exhaust I can live with the pan doing its job. My dad refitted the pan, and the car is now all good.


The interview aired on the 30/08/2024




No comments: