Friday 19 April 2019

Urban Cow Spotting

For years and years, going back as far as ooh 1995 - 96,  when I was unwell and a patient over at the Freeman, to the present, I always thought that the cows in the field over on the Town Moor, were a rather unusual sight.
Urban Cows
I mean usually, you see cows either on a farm or in a wide-open expanse, in the country. Not that the Town Moor is a small area, no it's the whole backdrop of where the cows are really. 


Newcastle city centre is such a busy place and becoming increasingly more so, with it's a mix of very old historical buildings and then, of course, all the new modern and futuristic looking constructs that are rising. Each one climbing just that little bit higher. As with most cities land is at a premium and the developers and planners try to cram as much in as possible.


Anyhoo in my head, I find the whole scene quite bizarre, so decided to take a few photo's whilst out on my adventure with John. Speaking of John he was a little late this morning. I haven't been out for a bike ride in ages with John, work and all that, so was proper looking forward to a blast out and sharing a bit of craic like.

I awoke early so just pottered on in the house until it was time to get ready and wait for John to come along. I actually was Googling stuff to fill a little time in and happened to put in "urban cows". One of the hits that appeared was for a band called "The Cash Cows", so I decided to check them out on Youtube. They sing covers in their own style and I rather like them. Here check the link and see what you think... The Cash Cows Oh and here is their website, The Cash Cows they do private gigs for weddings and parties. I guess if I ever get married (don't hold your breath) or have a party, not sure what for exactly and probably only you and me there LoL...


Around 9:00 am and our arranged time, No John. About 10 minutes later he arrived and told me in annoyed tones that he had had a bit of a nightmare with his recent tropical fish. Well, one fish in particular. I think John called it the Big Bastard, funny name for a fish I thought, but hey I let him go on. Apparently, this new Big fish had decided to eat one of the smaller fish and had taken on more than it could chew, quite literally as it must have started choking. Poor John from the sounds of it then got into a bit of a debate with his lass, as she obviously didn't really like the big fish which I think they got off a friend, coming into the tank and trying to eat the others. I asked John did he try to rescue either fish, too which he replied "Whey Aye", but in the end, the big fish had knacked the little one, and still had part of its fin or tail hanging out of its mouth when it realised it couldn't swallow it, then died itself.


John was canny funny this morning, great as ever to see him and it was actually quite refreshing hearing someone else whinge on, rather than myself. You see it wasn't only the fish. John had not brought a backpack and must not have looked at the weather forecast, so he had a base layer, a puffa waistcoat and his cycling jersey on oh and his winter gloves LoL. Well by the time we got to the top of the farmers trail the sweat was hailing out of him. 


  


Poooo
Lovely day

John thinking about his fish

Tanfield Railway approaching The Causey Arch


Over the Causey Arch


John on the Causey

We rode to the Toon and went through Leazes Park coming out almost opposite the Dental Hospital. I had spotted some urban cows in the field whilst coming out of work, just the other day. After grabbing a few shots we then rode down past the R.V.I and headed towards and then into Exhibition Park. Once in the park, we were able to go through one of the gates and get onto the Town Moor. 






There were lots and lots of urban cows here. There were also two canny big hills so I suggested we go check them out. John didn't fancy the ride up as he was melting, kind of reminded me of the witch from The Wizard of Oz Lol. Anyhoo I popped my bike in "full toot" mode and powered up the hill "nay bother". After I checked out the view and came back down I gave John a blast on my bike. Now John usually uses flat pedals and he completely forgot he had a pair of shoes on that I had given him, some time ago, as they were a tad tight for me. These shoes still had the cleats in, so as he came back down the hill and went to stop and get off I was curious as to why he didn't just put a foot down. John then explained, "I have never used cleats before and got stuck". Proper chuckles all around, mind you knowing John how he didn't fall in a cow pat is beyond me as they were all over the shop.



Riding up the hill in Full Toot mode
John's first go at being clipped in, but not knowing he was clipped in LoL
Urban Moos

Da Man
and Me

Following John


BTK Crossover working well
New Tendons

 It was a nice canny, steady away ride back, well at least for me. Poor John was knackered. It is a proper slog getting back from Newcastle to Stanley, a drag all the way.

Came over the High Level Bridge n snapped this
Oh, and my BTK Crossover temp fix appears to have worked. I have been experiencing some issues, snapping tendons. Now trying to work with Brian on a fix and pass on any feedback so he can sort the problem. I used a chainstay protector, wrapped a piece around each tendon and will keep track of any wear and how many miles I am doing on them. That's 30 for today...

BTK Crossover Temp Fix
 Running the BTK Crossover at 100psi, it felt pretty smooth and standing out the saddle pedalling was real easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your Comment