Wednesday 13 July 2022

Farwell to an old friend...

 It has been pretty hot weather the last week or so, I am sure you will all agree. Well on Sunday after finishing a rather warm and sticky day at work I jumped in Tango and headed home. I had both of her windows open as she was roasting inside. I mean, she had been waiting patiently all day for my return in the glaring sun.

I popped her air-con on to help with cooling. I know you shouldn't have the windows open with the air-con on, it was just until things got cooled down as we drove home.

Glenn and Tango the Smart 451
Wow this was 7 years ago the day I bought Wee Tango
 

So off we set on our usual route, with no dramas, Tango running perfectly smooth. It wasn't until I got real near home, just about opposite Humber Hill, when I smelt a burning smell. I thought it was something from outside somewhere.

As I pulled up outside our house and parked over the road on the grass verge and went to get out of Tango, that is when I noticed a small amount of smoke. I originally thought it was coming from my rear drum brakes, however as I inspected my wee car, it soon became apparent it was more of a burning oil type of smell.
 

I had turned her off at this point and went in to get Ern's opinion. Ern came out and suggested we leave Tango to cool, saying "come on, we can go up to the tip and drop off all this garden stuff". We had been on cutting the hedges you see, so had loads of cuttings, in a dumpy bag and wrapped in a tarpaulin.

When we arrived back home, it was still red-hot and Tango was still warm. My dad popped Tangos tail gate and lifted the carpet and protective sound deadening, then released the clip that holds the metal engine tray. We then got a rag and pulled out Tango's dip stick, checking her oil. The oil was up to the recommended level and looked lovely and clean, I mean she is serviced by my dad regularly. We then replaced the dip stick and went around to the front of Tango and checked her coolant level, again it was perfect.

We then had a go at starting Tango, and she just gave off a pitiful little groan... Oh! Dear!

My dad suggested leaving her until the following day, and whilst I was at work, he would investigate further. Upon picking me up from work, my dad let me know that Tangos engine felt "Tight". He had put a socket and wrench on her and tried turning her engine over by hand. She wasn't exactly seized, however she was poorly.


I have had Tango 7 years, and she has been a great little car, ideal for what I needed her for. I was gutted, however at this point I had had enough of spending money on her, I mean just last month I had spent over £500 on new suspension parts a tyre, then had to get her tracking re-done. I decided pretty much there, and then it was time to say farewell.
 

Tango 451 Smart Car
Tango when I first saw her and fell in love with her

Tango 451 Smart Car
I will miss my little Tango

I no longer have a Facebook account, so I used my dads and banged Tango up for a £1,000 on marketplace. Within minutes of the ad going up, I had 9 people contact me. So I was furiously trying to answer everyone's questions. I hate selling stuff, as you either get some numpty trying to bid you down or asking ridiculous questions. Not just that when someone really wants something, and you only have one, it's difficult trying to not come across as a complete dick when someone else buys your gear, and it's gone. Maybe I am too soft, LoL.

Anyhoo within about half an hour of the ad being out, a guy informed me he would be at our house the next morning with cash, and true to his word he arrived, paid for Tango and took her away. I wasn't in, as I was at work. I said my final farewell that morning, which was really sad, I loved that little car and had some good times in her. I hope Colin, her new owner, can repair her, and she sees many more miles of bringing a smile to someone's face.

And so what to do for a car for a run about and for work. I can't possibly use Grandma as she costs a fortune to run, plus she hopefully will be a future classic. I don't want to use Myrtle as well she uses just as much fuel as Grandma, however annoys a lot of people on the road as she is soooo slow and there is the fact she is not ideal to park, and I am still on the fence about her semi-auto clutch adaption. I still get anxious on hills and at junctions at times. Sometimes I can pull away smooth and on other occasions she either cuts out or, like when I was a learner, as if she has kangaroo petrol in her.

Sometime ago I had debated selling both Tango and Myrtle and was checking out an Abarth 595 Competzione. I'd actually love an EsseEsse, however they are hard to get in an auto and a lot more expensive. It sucks being an amputee as I am limited to an auto, and you always seem to have to pay a premium.

Abarth 595 Competzione
Abarth 595 Competzione

Obviously not in the market for a brand-new car, my budget won't extend to that, but something a couple of years old would do the trick. I am also trying to resist the urge of getting a car and modding it. I have already noticed there are loads of nice bits of gear out there for the Abarths Lol



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for your Comment